Re: [802SEC] +++ SEC EMAIL BALLOT +++ Get IEEE 802(tm) programrecommendation

I vote Disapprove.

 From the beginning, we have been encouraged to support this program
in spite of a fuzzy definition of what it entailed. With time, some
of the details have been other than what I expected; for example:

*a "3 year pilot program" interpreted as a one-year agreement
*standards pulled from the program because a new version is for sale
*the six month delay apparently turning into a seven-month delay

The current motion would leave the ambiguities (except the first one)
in place. It would also introduce a new one, leaving uncertain the
question of _which_ standards would be subject to 12 month holdback
(all? all those published after May 15 2002? or something else?).

As for an extension of the 6 month holdback, I could support an
extension to 12 months as long as it was dated from the approval,
rather than publication, of the standard (to encourage IEEE to
accelerate the slow publication process), and as long as there was a
firm commitment that entry into the program wouldn't come a month (or
even a day) late.

Overall, I have many concerns about this program. From the start, the
discussions about it have been held close to the vest. I feel that
the SEC has had insufficient access to what's really going on. I
don't understand some of the fundamental principles of the plan. For
instance, I don't see why the program should be expected to be
"revenue neutral". Since it would result in major cost savings in
terms of printing and fulfillment, it could result in much less
revenue and still yield the same net.

In order for me to support a motion like this, I would want:

*the clock to start at the date of approval
*appropriate clarification of the ambiguities in the agreement
*a commitment to share information and reach agreement on the basis
of the "Get IEEE 802" business model before the renewal year is over

Roger