Re: [802SEC] LMSC Rules Change Distribution and Ballot

Colleagues -

(1) With regard to the rule change ballot relating to retention of voting rights. I disapprove this change for the following reasons:

(a) The wording of the retention rule is not stated clearly; namely, it does not state which interim meeting(s) may be considered for substitution. Actually, this is also a fault in the original wording too, which should be fixed in any event; as currently worded, the text could be taken to mean any interim meeting(s) in the whole of the period of attendance of the voter concerned, which is no doubt not the intent.  Is the intent to include the two most recent interims, or the one or two interims that fall between the earlier of the two plenaries and the current date, or what?

(b) In the case of my own working group, application of this rule would result in some of my current voting members, who attend regularly but at a lower frequency than this rule would require, losing voting membership from time to time for no particularly good reason (I have run the numbers on this - it would affect about 25% of our current voters, all of whom are otherwise good contributors to the WG - responding to ballots, etc.)

(c) I have yet to hear a convincing argument for why this change is necessary. I hear the words in the justification that state that it is hard to get a quorum at an interim meeting; however, not having ever taken part in an interim meeting that needed a quorum in order to conduct its work, I am still none the wiser as to the real need here.

My own action, should this change be approved, will be to use my perogative as Chair to give voting rights to all 802.1 participants whose attendance falls within the old criteria and who wish to maintain their voting status.

(2) With regard to the ballot on the proposed TAG rule changes, I approve.

Regards,
Tony