[802SEC] Re: stds-802-16-mobile: Creating Unique Identities for the two mobility PARs

Forwarded for a non-subscriber.

 -Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: "Zion Hadad" <zionh@runcom.co.il>
To: "'Avi Freedman'" <avif@hexagonltd.com>,
   "'Marianna Goldhammer'" <marianna.goldhammer@alvarion.com>,
   "'Mark Klerer'" <M.Klerer@flarion.com>,
   "'Kiernan, Brian G.'" <Brian.Kiernan@interdigital.com>,
   <r.b.marks@ieee.org>
Cc: <stds-802-mobility@ieee.org>, <stds-802-16-mobile@ieee.org>,
   <stds-802-sec@ieee.org>
Subject: RE: stds-802-16-mobile: Creating Unique Identities for the two
mobility PARs
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:55:15 +0200

Hello all,

802.16 is one of the best existing standards, with all state of the art
goodies of the wireless communication.
802.16 can have vehicular speed faster than most existing standards and
we
should not hide this fact.

802.16 has an excellent MAC with round trip delays of ~4 ms (for 2 ms
frame)
which enables excellent QoS to the end user (carrier class capabilities
etc.) with excellent IP oriented mode.

802.16 is using the most advanced techniques: OFDM/A, SC, Space Time
Coding
(STC), Turbo Code (TC), Highly integrated Adaptive Array System (AAS),
ARQ
etc.
I don't believe that if someone will start from a clean sheet again he
will
come to a different answer. So why starting to invent the wheel again,
and
resulting with more delays, in order of at least 5 years (IS-95 took 9
years, GSM more than 10 years, 3G about 8 years).

802.16 has an excellent team which can extend the standard easily to the
mobility mode within less than a year (802.16 customers ask for
different
types of mobility and every one of the manufactures in the group knows
precisely the comments should be made to the standard for those
additions).

Globally 802.16 Mobile will complete the missing part of the triangle
where:
* 3G will give answers to a mobile reaching typical cells of 5 Km with
medium data rates (384-2000 Kbps per frequency of 5Mhz) for voice, low
data
rate IP and highly compressed video clips with reasonable QOS and
vehicular
speed up to 250 Km/h ,

* 802.11 for WLAN, hotspots etc, with clusters of cells of 2 Km (each
cell
with ~200m) for high data rate IP with speed as the coverage will
enable.

* 802.16 will cover the fixed to mobile high data rates high QOS
customers
with real Video unicast/multicast (0.7 Mbps to 8 Mbps) asymmetrical /
symmetrical traffic capabilities etc. For cell sizes reaching 15 Km and
recommended speed reaching to 100 Km/hr and optional higher speed where
it
is applicable.

Unfortunately the ECSD group allocate themselves in the 3G arena (this
was
clearly expressed when we had combined meetings) and looking for
solution
that compete with 3G (UMTS, T1P1, 3GPP1, 3GPP2) on the same frequencies,
the
same bands and the same markets. This was one of the main reasons why
ECSD
left 802.16.

As part of 802.16, I am looking for taking the advantage of our standard
in
order to extend it in a very short time to what our customers are
looking
for as the missing link between 3G and 802.11.

If the SEC will not approve another group outside 802.16, I personally
will
be happy to welcome the ECSD people.

I am asking the SEC to let 802.16 to finish the work for mobility and to
help us approving our PAR .

All the best,
Zion Hadad
Runcom