RE: [802SEC] WG Initial membership interpretation

Colleagues,    Matt Sherman has raised some good points for us to consider.

As our now longest-term member of the SEC, I believe I can speak to the intention of the current rules based on prior discussions going back to when the rules were created.  The intention behind section 5.1.3.1 was that all attendees who participated in the first official plenary meeting would be automatically granted full voting rights (membership) on a grandfathered basis (as though they had attended the two prior plenaries) so that there would be a pool of eligible members (voters) to allow for quorum establishment and transaction of committee business.  Otherwise a new working group would be unable to transact any business for two meetings, something that was deemed unacceptable.  There was consideration given to having a participation requirement based on the preliminary activities of an initial Study Group, but my recollection is that study groups were viewed as possibly transitory and unstable entities, which were subject to changes and might not be fully attended by the major players until such time as a PAR was officially approved.  So the intention was that the fairest basis was to allow everyone who was willing to commit to active participation at the first official meeting should be treated as equal participants and granted full membership.

Every new Working Group and TAG that has come aboard has had this same basic rule, so it has worked fairly well.  However this is the very first instance that I’m aware of, in which all of the officers elected had not been participants of the prior Study group which created the PAR.  With the exception of Peter Tarrant, who led the Hi-Speed LAN Study Group that ultimately morphed into 100BASE-T and 802.12, the person who was chair of the Study Group has always been elected to Chair the Working Group or TAG.  There was some serious controversy about that particular dynamic as well.

I personally believe that the correct course for us will be to maintain the voters list from the Dallas meeting and run a roll call election at the July plenary.  Anyone who qualified as a voter in Dallas should be entitled to vote in SF whether they attend the interim or not.  Once the outcome is officially recorded, the SEC can address any remaining issues of block voting based on the data, rather than on a lot of hearsay and opinion.  At least there is some opportunity in the meantime to find some compromise solutions which may allow the problem to solve itself.  Time heals all wounds.    J

Thanx,  Buzz
Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing - SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM