RE: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ Ballot on WG Membership

Title: Message

Buzz,

So I thank you for your gentle correction.  Really, I should not be second guessing the intent of the creators of this rule.  Of course, I don’t have to.  I can simply say I disagree with it whatever it was.  In my mind recent events have shown that the 1st meeting rule is simply too open to abuse to continue to exist.  There has to be a better way.  I was going to respond to your comments point by point, but I decided not to in light of recent traffic I received.

Perhaps the membership question is more complex than it sounds.  Perhaps we also have to ask what is a Working Group, and what is a Study Group?  Ken’s e-mail caught me off guard because it had not occurred to me that a Working Group pre-exists a PAR.  Repeating from my response to Ken the SA Standards Board OM reads:

5.2 Project authorization

No formal activity shall take place after six months from the day of the first meeting of the working group

without formal submittal of a PAR to the IEEE-SA Standards Board and assignment of a project number (see

5.1.2).

6.1.1 Project Authorization Request (PAR)

As part of the initial PAR procedure, the committee or working group shall appoint a chair (or official

reporter) who shall sign a Copyright Agreement acknowledging that the proposed standard constitutes a

“work made for hire” as defined by the Copyright Act, and that as to any work not so defined, any rights or

interest in the copyright to the standards publication is transferred to the IEEE.

In addition Joanne Wilson of ArrayComm hit me with some side traffic that highlighted the fact that Study Groups exist within Working Groups as well as at the EC level.  When a Study Group transitions to a Task Group, there is no membership issue.  Members of the SG were already WG members.  Only WG members who show up at the first TG meeting get’s to vote in elections.  Anyone else who suddenly shows up must first develop membership in the WG to participate.  However the decision on where to put a PAR developed by an SG is made by the EC.  They could take that same PAR and put it in a new WG.  Suddenly, a whole different process is followed, and everyone get’s instant membership just for showing up at the first meeting.  Is forming a new Task Group really that different?  Why must new TG members first develop WG status while someone walking in for potentially the same task in a new WG gets instant membership?  This does not seem right.

So I’m going to get a bit heretical here.  The concept of a Sponsor SG does not exist at the SA level. It is an 802 construct that I feel is very useful.  Most PAR’s for new work (aside from Maintenance and similar activities) are proceeded by a study group.  Most new Working Groups (hope I’m not wrong again) are proceeded by a Study Group.  It seems to me that the 802 SG fills the role of the pre-PAR WG.   The rules in the SG are different in than in the WG and perhaps more appropriate for a group that suddenly appears out of nothing.  I’d rather see all new “WG” transition through a SG phase rather than pop into existence.  I’m sure there are aways exceptions, and I suppose the EC should be able to waive WG into existence for those exceptions.  But I believe it is better for people to become aquainted with each other and the work at hand before appointing a leader.  Having the EC appoint a chair and a little later having elections seems like a better process for me.  So I like this concept of a pre-PAR WG being an SG.  Perhaps I am way off base, but this is my view at the moment.

So Buzz, how I would respond to each of your points is as follows:

1)     Having an SG as a “Pre-Par” WG I think is a better process.  I would not think it is easy to make intelligent decisions about your leaders and the proper approach to developing your work without any guidance prior to the first WG meeting.  So I think moving slower at the first meeting is better than moving faster (if in fact the group has limited experience with 802).

2)     Why is this so much different than the transition of a SG to a TG?  If it is people involved are going to change so much, then a Task Group should permit anyone to become a member at their first meeting too.  I don’t think this is what we want, and I don’t accept that the membership in the change over from an SG to a WG changes that radically in general.  If so, they should be stuck with the same rules as for a SG transitioning to a TG.

3)     Agreed.  But we still need to guard against abuse as a community.  I believe in flexibility.  But there is such a thing as too much flexability.  We need a balance, and right now I feel that balance is not to base initial membership on the first meeting.  I’m not sure why this would be considered more flexible than some other rules.

4)     Again, the folks joining a new task group also are developing a new context for a new task.  And yet they can live within the requirements of prior establishment of membership.  I don’t see why new WG could not live with the same requirement given the existence of a Pre-WG SG.

Talk to you soon,

 Mat

Matthew Sherman
Vice Chair, IEEE 802