Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 10:34 AM
Subject: RE: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ Ballot on WG Membership

Ken,

What you describe sounds very much like an informal version of what I would normally expect to do today.  If I understand you correctly (correct me if I don’t) the sequence was:

Informal discussion outside and within 802

Plenary 1: Present proposal need for new work item to EC and tutorial to membership

Plenary 2: Present PAR to EC.  Approve PAR. Approve WG with acting chair

Plenary 3: First WG meeting.  Have elections.

Today I think the sequence would have run:

Plenary 1: Present proposal for new work, tutorial to membership, form SG to write PAR

Plenary 2: Present and approve PAR.  Approve WG with acting chair

Plenary 3: First WG meeting.  Have elections.

So I don’t think things are so different.  To me the more important questions are:

Did the original leadership of 802.10 (Kimberly for instance) participate in the PAR development?   Was the first WG meeting Kimberly’s first meeting?

How many showed up for that first meeting?  Of those that showed up, how many became regular members vs just showing up to say they have voting rights?  How many of those at the first meeting participated in the PAR development?  Were the one that stayed on in the group the ones that helped develop the PAR, or the ones who showed up for the first time at the first meeting?

I think these are the questions that are most relevant.  I think that today it is a given that we would not start a new WG without first having a draft PAR in mind for them to work on.  Personally, I would prefer a slightly extended SG process to give people more time to acclimate.  I would have preferred a process more like:

Plenary 1:  Present proposal for new work to EC, form SG

Plenary 2:  Present draft PAR and Tutorial to 802 membership

Plenary 3:  Approve PAR, approve new WG

Plenary 4:  First WG meeting.  Have elections.

But I recognize this might be impeding progress more that people would like, so I doubt I would ever mandate a 3 Plenary approval process.  Just my thoughts.

Mat

Matthew Sherman
Vice Chair, IEEE 802
Technology Consultant