[802SEC] two revised 802.16 PARs for consideration at July 802 Plenary

I would like to inform the SEC of two revised 802.16 PARs that I
intend to present for approval at the SEC meeting of 25 July.

Both of these PARs are intended to convert an existing effort from an
Amendment into a Revision project. The two draft PARs are revisions
of:

(1) P802.16.2a <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/03/80216-03_27.pdf>
(2) P802.16d   <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/03/80216-03_26.pdf>

The first PAR (1) is in response to a decision of the IEEE-SA
Standards Board of 12 June. The board declined to approve
P802.16.2a/D5, following its approval by RevCom, because of a concern
that the document should have been balloted as a Revision, instead of
an Amendment, of IEEE Std 802.16.2. This submission responds to Board
direction that "Sponsor shall submit a revised PAR indicating that
the document is a revision." For more details, see
<http://ieee802.org/16/arc/802-16list2/msg00891.html>.

The second PAR (2) is a parallel effort to initiate a revision of
IEEE Std 802.16. This was instigated partly by the education we
received in the course of discussions regarding P802.16.2a. We are
also pressured by the "IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual"
requirement that "up to two amendments shall be approved before the
standard shall be revised or reaffirmed, unless the base standard has
been approved or reaffirmed within the past two years."

I welcome your comments, as soon as possible but no later than 5 pm
PT on 22 July.

Additional notes:

(a) I wasn't sure how to number the PARs. Jodi Haasz suggested simply
"802.16.2" and "802.16", with no letters. The 802 PAR Numbering
Scheme <http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg00046.html> suggests leaving
the letters. I decided to follow Jodi's advice with the first drafts.

(b) I'll be presubmitting these to PARs to NesCom in preparation for
their next Early Consideration meeting (4 August).

(c) For your reference, I have compiled a little web page listing the
PARs before the SEC in July:
<http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg26/lmsc/pars.html>.

Regards,

Roger