[802SEC] re: Reply Comments on 5 GHZ NPRM

Dear Carl,

As you know, this issue has generated a lot of discussion within
802.16. I have faced a difficult decision on whether to file a
Procedure 4 motion to block the 802.18 submittal. I am aware that a
motion to block would, in effect, kill the submission. That's because
there isn't time to conduct an EC ballot before tomorrow's FCC
deadline.

I very much appreciate your reconciliation effort involving the
addition of a paragraph. I agree that the new text is fully in line
with recent 802.18 consensus positions. I also recognize that you are
sticking your neck out in advocating the change, and I appreciate
your leadership on the issue.

I agree with the view of some 802.16 members that the submittal, even
as revised, does not fully support their concerns. I accept that, by
choosing not to attend the 802.18 session in Singapore (the week
following 802.16's interim in Denver), 802.16 members lost an
opportunity to participate in the development of the document. In the
802 process, participation is central. On the other hand, we also say
that our process is contribution-driven. I believe that some
non-attendees would have been likely to participate by contribution
if they were aware that this topic was on the agenda. I would like to
see 802.18's process be refined to ensure that a list of intended
topics be provided on the 802.18 reflector in advance of your
sessions, along with at least an informal Call for Contributions. I
think that this is particularly critical when 802.18 is meeting
without the presence of some of the 802 wireless groups.

I'll make an effort to explain to the 802.16 community that they need
to stay on top of the regulatory issues and be actively engaged with
802.18. Though we don't agree on all issues, I think that we can
continue to find a lot of common ground.

Having weighed all the issues, I have decided not to file a motion to
block the revised submittal. I encourage the SEC, and the 802.16
membership, to support you on this issue and in your broader efforts
to forge 802 consensus.

Regards,

Roger