Re: [802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ Rules Change Ballot on Roll Call Votes

Geoff,

thanks for the improvement, I am happy to add
the obvious language fix and will think how to
integrate the additional instructions on
motions.

Between your examples of 1) and 2), I find 2)
to be the more problematic issue and the one
requiring attention since I believe Roberts
provides the chair with the necessary tools
to fix 1) without an explicit rules change.
I will look it up so I can cite the relevant
portions.

In particular, I have forced votes to be held
again when I failed to recognize a voter and then
reiterated that only voters may vote and the count
was different.

So let us discuss 2).

For example, in dot17, roll call votes were
used on several occasions to see if LMSC
rule 5.1.4.4 e) was being violated. In 1 such
case, it was clear that the rule was being
violated and this allowed me to sit the
the entities involved down and read them the riot
act. Problem solved by next session!

The total number of roll call votes in 17
was low and there was only one occasion
where I thought the request for a roll call vote
was spurious and left it to a group vote, otherwise
I granted the request. In that one case, my recollection
is that it would not have hit the 20% mark. I am more
than happy to have my hands tied and hold such a vote
in the future.

As to the need for this in other working groups.
I said in the EC meeting that I am acting on a concern
from my former vice chair (Mr. Love) about the use
(or lack thereof) of roll call votes in dot20. I leave
it to him and other members of dot20 to highlight
why they see the need for such a rule.

I see the main use of a roll call vote is to get people to go
on the record and not so much to delay the process. As
I am sure some people will point out, there are better
procedural methods for delay. However, since *some*
people were concerned with roll call votes being used
to stall, I put in a remedy for that situation.

Personally, I can't imagine why a chair would refuse
to allow a roll call vote except to keep things
moving along. I can imagine why a group of voters
might want to avoid a roll call vote. It is in the vital
interest of IEEE 802 (and IMO IEEE) to insure that
people do go on the record for issues of importance
to the WG. Furthermore, as my failed EC motion shows
I believe this change should be implemented prior to the
start of the March 04 meeting.

cheers,

mike