Re: [802.1] Connectivity Fault Management draft PAR

Tony:
Having read the draft, seeing a portion of the very large slide presentation made
at the January interim, and then rereading the scope of this PAR covering
"transport fault management", I would offer that this is major new work effort
for 802.1 that could  have a major effect on many if not all 802 members.  Fault
management has potential applicability to all 802 LANs.
Given this scope, I would strongly recommend that an 802.1 Study Group be formed
for this activity before the requesting of a PAR, in order to give notice for all
802 members of your intentions.  However, in line with the contents of  Procedure
2, I would settle for an evening tutorial presentation in March as is "highly
recommended" in the Procedure.  This would allow all 802 members the opportunity
to participate/provide input for a potential PAR in July.
In this case, I am speaking for myself as a member and not for the 802.3 Working
Group, however I will bring it up to my group at our March plenary.  FYI, 802.3
ran thru many study group meetings in arriving at an acceptable scope for our OAM
segment of P802.3ah and we only had one MAC to deal with.
Regards,
Richard Brand
Liaison rep from 802.3 to 802.1

Tony Jeffree wrote:

> This is notification under Procedure 2 - "Procedure for PARs" that 802.1
> intends to request SEC approval of the following draft PAR at the March
> 2004 closing SEC meeting:
>
> http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2004/ConnectivityFaultPAR-v1.2a.doc
>
> Regards,
> Tony
>
> =>IEEE 802.1 Email List user information:
> http://www.ieee802.org/1/email-pages/
begin:vcard
n:Brand;Richard C.
tel;work:(408) 495 2462 : ESN 265 2462
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Advanced Technology
adr:;;4655 Great America Pkway;Santa Clara;Ca.;95054;
version:2.1
email;internet:rbrand@Nortelnetworks.com
title:Director, Network Architecture & Applications
fn:Richard C. Brand
end:vcard