From: owner-stds-802-sec@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Roger B. Marks
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 3:59 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] EC Motion to Conditionally Approve Forwarding of
P802.17 to Revcom

I agree with Bob that the motion is unnecessary.

At the SEC meeting of 14 November 2003, we discussed this issue. I
said that I had always interpreted Procedure 10 to be valid for only
one recirc. However, some SEC members disagreed. I was persuaded by
the discussion that Procedure 10 is NOT limited to one recirc, but I
said that the P&P is a bit ambiguous. I was tasked by the Chair to
develop interpretive language on the topic for the Chair's
Guidelines, but I have not gotten around to it.

This discussion is not captured in the minutes, except for the
mysterious line: "Roger will clarify multiple recirculation ballots
under Procedure 10."

Studying the P&P, I now find only one ambiguity. This is in Condition
5: "No new valid DISAPPROVE comments on new issues that are not
resolved to the satisfaction of the submitter from existing
DISAPPROVE voters." We are interpreting "new" in the normal way one
considers a ballot: "new" is "new in the final ballot". However, one
could interpret "new" as "received after conditional approval is
granted".

Roger