[802SEC] FW: [802SEC] Comments/request for clarification/modification on the .16h PAR

IEEE 802 SEC,

            I sent this out yesterday and I did not see it come back from the reflector, so I thought I would send it again.

Steve

From: Shellhammer, Stephen J
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:28 PM
To: 'Carl R. Stevenson'; STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Comments/request for clarification/modification on the .16h PAR

Carl,

            I guess I am a little confused about your concern.  802.16h is going to develop coexistence mechanisms to enhance coexistence with other wireless systems, be it primary or secondary users of the band.  That seems like a good thing to me (course I am the 802.19 chair).  I guess the title could be more accurate if they want to make sure they don’t interfere with primary users of the band.  I sure hope they don’t plan to interfere with the primary users; that is typically frowned upon.

            This new PAR is not for the development of a new MAC and PHY so I can’t see how it conflicts with 802.22.  Clearly, 802.22 is also intended to coexist with primary users in the band but it does not seem like we should prevent 802.16 from being a good citizen also.

Regards,

Steve