Re: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ P&P_Revision_Process

Mat-

My "non-voting" vote on "LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++  P&P_Revision_Process"

DISAPPROVE, my vote will change to approve upon satisfactory resolution of the issues mentioned below.

First, I would strongly suggest that all ballots be distributed as PDF's and have line numbers on each page so that (a) page location of text is stable and (b) referenced text can be pointed to precisely.

7.1.6.1 sub (2)(a)
CHANGE "my" TO "may"

7.1.6.1 sub (2)

CURRENT TEXT:
a) Any working group or technical advisory group.  A proposal shall require the affirmative vote of at least three fourths of the members present when the vote is taken, quorum requirements shall be as specified in subclause Error! Reference source not found. Error! Reference source not found.

SHOULD BE:
a) Any currently active working or technical advisory group.  A proposal shall require the affirmative vote of at least three fourths of the members present of such working group or technical advisory group. When the vote is taken, quorum requirements shall be as specified in subclause [to be supplied by 1st Vice Chair].

RATIONALE
Clarity and precision, proposal can only be made by active groups.

7.1.6.2 Proposed changes
I do not understand the intent of this change. As closely as I can tell the only effect is that it will no longer be proper to discuss issues "formerly known as assigned for study" at the Sunday P&P meetings. This seems counterproductive. As such, I would be opposed. I am perfectly willing to mandate that "FKAAFS" go the bottom of the agenda on Sunday.

I also don't know what "may not be considered again until a future session" means.
Do you mean "shall not be considered again until a future plenary session"?
...or do you mean something else?
What does "not considered" mean? Does that mean discussion on the topic is forbidden on the EC reflector? Please define "considered" in this context. I am particularly concerned as to what this may mean if we enable "future sessions" to be teleconferences. I do not think we should be revising our P&P away from the plenaries.

I am willing to say that "FKAAFS" will not be balloted on before the next plenary meeting of the EC.

STRONG OBJECTION
To the following text:
An up to date LMSC P&P should be maintained on the IEEE 802 website.

REPLACE WITH:
"The currently in-force LMSC P&P shall be that which is on the IEEE 802 website."
(I would prefer that we also specify an unchanging URL)
Appropriate changes to the surrounding text should also be made. My position would be that  a version of the P&P "is qualified" to be put in force at the end of the plenary session but that it is not in force until it is posted. What folks can get is what should be the law, not what they "are supposed to have". This will keep us clean with AudCom and probably (once again) make us the shining example of how things should be run.

7.1.6.5 Editorial Discretion
I have some problems with this. It needs to be less absolute so we have somewhere to go in case of a dispute. For example, there should be provision to roll back to the last voted text if there is a change in dispute. We should be notified if there is an non-voted update.

I look forward to our discussions to satisfactorily resolve all of these issues.

With best regards and sincerest wishes for a Happy new Year,

Geoff