Re: [802SEC] FW: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ EC_Membership_&_Meetings

I vote Disapprove, with the following comments:

(1) I object the first sentence of 7.1.7.1: "In case of questions of
the validity of an election, the person last holding the position
will continue to serve until such time as election concerns are
addressed."

It is, in my opinion, ludicrous to invalidate an election because
"questions" had been raised regarding its validity.

Remedy: Change the first sentence of 7.1.7.1 to: "In case an election
is not confirmed by the EC, the person last holding the position will
continue to serve until confirmation of the new officer is complete."

(2) 7.1.7.1 is numbered incorrectly, since the current P&P includes a
subclause 7.1.7.1. Also, the header doesn't fully match the content.

Remedy: instead of being a standalone clause, add the text of
7.1.7.1, as corrected and without the header, as the third paragraph
of 7.2.2, which describes the election and confirmation of the WG
Chair.

(3) Instead of simply extending 7.1.3 ("Reaffirmation"), we should
correct the existing text, which says: "All members of the Executive
Committee are reaffirmed at the first Plenary session of each even
numbered year. The Working Group and TAG chairs are reaffirmed by
their representative groups while other members of the Executive
Committee are reaffirmed in the Executive Committee meeting." The
sentences are false: EC members are sometimes NOT affirmed. In any
case, we should avoid using the word "affirm", which is not used
elsewhere in the P&P. Furthermore, the content regarding WG and TAG
chairs is completely redundant with 7.2.2 and should be stricken to
avoid the requirement to compare and contrast two different
subclauses covering the same topic. Also, there is no need to talk
about "reaffirmation", since elections and appointments are described
elsewhere, the only purpose is to describe the ending of the
membership term.

Remedy: Change the title of 7.1.3 to "Expiration of Membership Term".
Change the first two sentences of 7.1.3 to: "The term of each
Executive Committee member expires at the end of the first Plenary
session of each even numbered year."

(4) The new material added to 7.1.3 serves no purpose, except to
specify the possibility of "removal with cause". there is no defined
procedure for removal, so the new material is completely useless.
[The current P&P define a process for a WG to hold an election before
the term expires.]

Remedy: Delete last two sentence of 7.1.3.

(5) Regarding 7.1.5.2 ("Meetings by Teleconference"), I don't think
we need them and I am opposed to holding them. They might make sense
in an emergency, but they couldn't be used in an emergency because of
the 30-day notice required in this rule. The rule also fails to
specify who is entitled to call such a meeting, and on what grounds.
A better issue to address regarding telephone meetings is a provision
to allow telephone participation in EC meetings by members who are
ill, etc.

Remedy: Delete 7.1.5.2. At the end of the first paragraph of 7.1.5,
add "Members of the Executive Committee may participate in and vote
in EC meetings by telephone if unable to attend due to illness or
other extraordinary circumstance."

Roger