Re: [802SEC] Term limits

Colleagues,

I've read the traffic on this particular issue and I figured I would
put my $0.016 (2 cents canadian).

In terms of gerrymandering or otherwise "buying" an election, we have
no defense against this (or rather none that we seem to be willing
to try and have supported by IEEE). So a term limit rule just means
that you get a new face and the same old chair. So I don't see this as
a strong argument for term limits. It is perhaps a strong argument for
other things.

In terms of having new blood in management positions, I think it is
incumbent on the chair to be grooming potential replacements for
any number of reasons, the proverbial bus being one of them. But I think
we can trust the WG to decide when its time for the chair to retire
by holding a confidence vote as Bob suggests below in 4).

I would suggest however, that such a vote should be held at the november
plenary session allowing suitable candidates to step forward in time
for a March election. Or it could be held via email ballot starting
after the November plenary, thus allowing the complete membership to
be part of the decision process. Although then we get into the SA rules
for email ballots and the required majority / return rates. (But it
is worth discussing).

Finally, does the 8 year rule ever reset? For example, suppose I am
chair of .17 for >= 8 years and step down. Some years later I decide
that I really want to be chair again (clearly I've sustained a head
injury). As currently written, I would have to get the appropriate
motion made and passed, and then I could stand for election. Do
we want to worry about this possibility?

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@cisco.com
Distinguished Engineer,       Cisco Systems