From: owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org]On
Behalf Of Mike Takefman
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:40 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Term limits

Tony,

I'm not comfortable with your particular idea. I believe it pretty much
insures that in a close race the appointment of the chair and vice
chairs will go to the EC chair. Which insures that either the entire
working group will be unhappy or just one side of the working group will
be unhappy. And it sticks the EC chair with a very messy problem to deal
with.

I'll suggest an alternative, which I am not completely happy with either.

Lets make the term limit > 5 plenary cycles, and turf any
chair/vice chair who cannot hold the confidence of the group.

Any chair or vice chair who intends to stand for re-election at a time
when they will have been in the position for > 1.6666 years must receive
a 75% approval in a confidence motion.

This relieves the EC chair of the onerous and political task of second
guessing the election results of the group.

This gives the chair a 2->3.666 year chance to prove that they belong
in the job.

For WGs that have a political issue limiting their ability to make
progress, I submit that churning the chair every 2 years won't
necessarily make that situation any worse. And it actually gives
an incentive to the chair to work positively with all sides,
assuming of course, they want to keep the job for a longer period.

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@cisco.com
Distinguished Engineer,       Cisco Systems