Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ Motion for Network Equipment Upgradesl+++ends 19 August 2005

Pat,  Well, thanx for your input but I would like to respond:

1)  We have bought 802.11a modules for our APs before; they cost about $250-300 each on the internet but we have gotten discount deals from Cisco in the past that will probably let us do better than that, so a not to exceed number is about $6K.

2)  The 2nd part of the motion is to determine if we intend to take action to solve this problem we have been experiencing for several meetings now.  For several meetings we have continued to speculate that the problem will go away (but it hasn't, we still only have 10% of attendees on 11a) or to try to blame it on the Network Service Provider (which is not fair since they cannot change the laws of physics).  I'm suggesting that we need to take a proactive role in solving this problem, not just letting it recur indefinitely.  We have consulted with our best network advisors who understand the problem, and they have indicated that the only effective way is to encourage folks to upgrade to 11a.  I don't have any plans to pay anything to anybody, but I DO want some commitment that if we do all the homework to come up with a solution for the problem that we are not going have to listen to this kind of speculative BS about why we shouldn't have to do anything at all.  How many mo!
 re congested meetings do we need to have before we agree to act ???  I hope the answer is NONE.

3)  Pat,  I don't know how many times you've rushed out and plunked down your hard-earned cash to upgrade your employer's property, but I don't think many folks are willing to do that even if it was only $50.  Also if everybody buys their own we will probably have few of the manageable types which will listen to power level advisories so they turn down their transmit power and thereby cause less interference in the congested meeting rooms.  We have a one-time chance here to solve the problem and improve manageability of our networks for a small or perhaps free (depending on the deal we get) investment.  We'll give out for FREE exactly the card we would prefer them to use, if and only if, they agree to take responsibility for receiving the upgrade, and we will provide support if they should have some difficulty with it.  What could be more fair ???  I would really like to see our percentage of 11a users increase for next time since that will alleviate the problem.  And, yes, !
 we may only need to do this once to jump start the solution process and it may carry-on from there all on it's own.  But I don't think we want to go through one more meeting listening to people whining about how we've known about this problem for several meetings and still we have done NOTHING to address it.

So let's quit with the pointless speculations and get on with a proactive solution as our network advisors have recommended.  We just need to figure out how to do it reasonably, and you'll get to hear and approve of the plan before anything gets put in motion.

Thanx,  Buzz
Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing - SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM