From: Tony Jeffree [mailto:tony@JEFFREE.CO.UK]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:42 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Quorum Rules in IEEE 802

Bob -

I suspect what your difference of opinion with Bob boils down to is a
question as to when/where the WG does its voting. In the example Bob
gave
(a WG authorizing an Interim to "resolve comments and conduct
recirculation
ballots as necessary"), the vote that determines whether or not the
changes
are valid is the recirc ballot itself; what the interim meeting is
actually
being empowered to do is to assist the Editor in preparing a new draft.
In
other cases where the actions delegated to an interim are not coupled to
ballot on a draft, for example, authorizing an interim to work on a PAR,

the requirement for the WG to vote on it can (and should) be met by the
WG
approving the resultant text at the following Plenary. In such cases,
the
interim is simply making a recommendation that needs subsequent
ratification.

In 802.1, we never take formal votes in task group meetings (and 802.1
interims are simply concatenated task group meetings). Any votes that
are
necessary to ratify work done at an interim are taken either in the form
of
a ballot on a draft, or as a vote at a plenary meeting in a plenary
session. On the very, very rare occasions when it has been necessary to
ratify work done at an interim in a more timely manner, we have made a
motion and conducted an email ballot. That approach has served us very
well
for the past 20 years or so.

Regards,
Tony

In 802.1

At 00:21 27/09/2005, Bob O'Hara (boohara) wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I guess we have a fundamental disagreement on a few issues.  The first
>is what a WG must vote on.  If the WG does not have to vote on the
>technical content of a draft, i.e., putting something in or taking
>something out, why do we have clause 7.2.4.2.1 in the EC P&P, at all.
>What else is there for a WG to vote on in a meeting?  I believe that is
>the only reason there is a clause on WG voting in out P&P.
>
>The second item I disagree with you on is the ability of a WG to
suspend
>its rules.  I suppose, since we demoted RROR to advisory status, the WG
>chair can make this decision without any vote of the WG, at all.
>Robert's Rules, of course, has a different requirement.  Specifically,
>RROR says that the operating rules or bylaws of an organization cannot
>be suspended, except by the same process that is required to amend
them.
>As with the EC, we could not pass a motion (by any majority) to simply
>change the effect of some clause in our P&P.  "Suspend the rules",
>again, has a very specific meaning and limited effect according to
RROR.
>This is another place where we diverge significantly and are charting
>our own, unknown, territory.
>

>  -Bob

Chair
> > has full discretion under the LMSC P&P to decide all procedural
>issues.
> > Determining the presence of a quorum is clearly procedural.  Under
our
> > P&P, if the chair declares a quorum is present and there is no
>objection
> > from anyone present, there is a quorum present.  Period.  The lack
of
>an
> > objection from anyone present would also seem to preclude an appeal
>(but
> > this is not a question for today).
> >
> > So if Mike declares that a quorum was present at the meeting in
Geneva