Re: [802SEC] IEEE SA position on unofficial 802 related activities

Tony,

Good question.  It can be found in the IEEE Bylaws at I.300.3

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/portal/site/mainsite/menuitem.818c0c39e85ef176fb2275875bac26c8/index.jsp?&pName=corp_level1&path=about/whatis/bylaws&file=i-300.xml&xsl=generic.xsl

The text is as follows:

Indemnification.  To the extent permitted by law, IEEE shall indemnify (i)
each Director, Officer, former Director and former Officer of IEEE, (ii)
each person who serves as a duly authorized volunteer or employee of a duly
authorized IEEE activity, (iii) each person who shall have served at the
request of IEEE as a Director or Officer of another organization, against
judgments, fines, amounts paid in settlement and reasonable expenses,
including without limitation attorney's fees and expenses, actually and
necessarily incurred by such person in connection with the defense of any
action, suit, or proceeding to which such person is made or threatened to be
made a party by virtue of such service; provided (i) that such service is
found by the Board of Directors to have been duly authorized and is not
found by the Board of Directors to have been taken in bad faith or in a
manner inconsistent with the purposes or objectives of IEEE as expressed in
Bylaws, IEEE Policies, or resolutions duly adopted by the Board of Directors
or Executive Committee or in policies and procedures duly adopted by an IEEE
organizational unit which are applicable to the activity at issue, (ii) the
person to be indemnified has otherwise met the standards of conduct set
forth in Section 722 or established by Section 721 of the New York
Not-For-Profit Corporation Law, and (iii) that such indemnification is not
otherwise prohibited by law.  The foregoing right of indemnification shall
not be exclusive of other rights to which such person may be entitled.

Regards,

--Paul