From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 3:22 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++10 Day EC Email Ballot+++ENDS 09 FEB 06+++
motion to approve 802.11n Press Release

Stuart,

Congratulations on your progress. Still, I need to vote Disapprove.

This press release is, in my view, weak in its
most important function: explaining exactly what
it is that happened.

It says two things:

(a) "The IEEE has approved a joint proposal"
This is incorrect. The IEEE didn't approve anything.

(b) The task group "voted unanimously to confirm the joint proposal."
Confirm it as what?

I would change my vote to Approve if the following changes were made:

(a) "The IEEE has approved a joint proposal" =>
"The task group responsible for developing the
IEEE 802.11n project has voted to accept, as a
baseline, a joint proposal"

(b)  "voted unanimously to confirm the joint
proposal" =>  "voted unanimously to confirm the
joint proposal as a baseline"

If I am wrong about the wording "baseline", I'm
happy to accept different language, as long as it
is reflective of what actually happened.

Roger

At 02:22 PM -0800 06/01/30, Stuart J. Kerry wrote:
>Dear EC Members,
>
>This is a email ballot to make a determination on the motion regarding
the
>approval of the 802.11n Press Release as approved unanimously by the
802.11
>WG recently in Waikoloa regarding the attached Document file presented
>herein.
>
>Motion: "To approve the 802.11n Press Release attached, with the intent
>submit to the IEEE (via Karen McCabe) for distribution to the press,
subject
>to editorial revision."
>
>Moved: Stuart J. Kerry
>Second: Bob O'Hara
>
>The ballot opens 12:00 midnight ET Monday January 30th, 2006 and closes
>Thursday February 9th, 2006 at 11:59 pm ET.
>
>SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: This Press Release revision was edited before
>presentation to you by Karen McCabe and my 802.11 WG Publicity Chair,
Nanci
>Vogtli (please include both on any concerns or comments you send via
email,
>thank you).
>
>The full details of the press text is detailed below for your
convenience.

>Regards,
>
>Stuart J. Kerry
>Chair, IEEE 802.11 WLANs WG
>

>+++++++++
>DRAFT:   1/23/06
>

>Contact:	Stuart J. Kerry, Chair, IEEE 802.11 Working Group
>		+1 408 474 7356, stuart@ok-brit.com
>				or
>		Bruce Kraemer, Chair, IEEE 802.11n Task Group
>		+1 321 327 6704, bkraemer@conexant.com
>				or
>				Karen McCabe, IEEE Senior Marketing
Manager
>		+1 732 562 3824, k.mccabe@ieee.org
>

>IEEE TASK GROUP ADVANCES STANDARDS PROCESS FOR HIGHER-SPEED 802.11
WIRELESS
>LOCAL AREA NETWORKS
>
>PISCATAWAY, N.J., __ January 2006 - The IEEE has approved a joint
proposal
>to amend the IEEE 802.11T wireless local area network (WLAN) standard
by
>adding specifications for new technologies that will raise WLAN
connection
>speeds to as much as 600 Mbps (megabits per second).
>	The task group working on this amendment, IEEE 802.11nT,
"Wireless
>LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY)
Specifications:
>Enhancements for Higher Throughput", voted unanimously to confirm the
joint
>proposal.  The project to develop IEEE 802.11n began in 2003 to ensure
the
>interoperability of the next generation of WLAN devices.  A draft of
the
>amendment is expected in late 2006, with publication slated for 2007.
>  "The IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN working group continues to improve this
WLAN
>standard to meet the evolving needs of the public and industry," said
Stuart
>J. Kerry, Chair of the IEEE 802.11 Working Group on Wireless Local Area
>Networks.  "Hundreds of technical experts from the world's leading
>technology companies, academic institutions and government agencies
have
>collaborated to develop the foundation for new high-throughput wireless
LAN
>technology."
>	Bruce Kraemer, Chair of the IEEE 802.11n High Throughput Task
Group,
>adds that "reaching this step is a significant milestone.  It
demonstrates
>the success of the IEEE consensus process in bringing together the
diverse
>interests of enterprises and consumers.  The technology to be
incorporated
>into IEEE 802.11n will provide new capabilities to diverse industry
sectors
>ranging from computer and consumer electronics to public access and
mobile
>telephony."
>
>About the IEEE 802.11 Working Group
>The IEEE 802.11 Working Group on Wireless Local Area Networks has
completed
>10 projects since 1999 that have continued the development and
evolution of
>the IEEE 802.11 WirelessLANR Standard for Wireless Local Area Networks.
The
>group currently has 520 individual voting members contributing to 11
active
>projects.  For more information on this working group, see
>http://www.ieee802.org/11.
>
>About the IEEE Standards Association
>The IEEE Standards Association, a globally recognized standards-setting
>body, develops consensus standards through an open process that brings
>diverse parts of an industry together.  These standards set
specifications
>and procedures based on current scientific consensus.  The IEEE-SA has
>portfolio of more than 870 completed standards and more than 400
standards
>in development.  Over 15,000 IEEE members worldwide belong to IEEE-SA
and
>voluntarily participate in standards activities.  For information on
IEEE-SA

http://www.ieee.org.