From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 3:22 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org; stuart@ok-brit.com
Cc: k.mccabe@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++10 Day EC Email Ballot+++ENDS 09 FEB 06+++ motion
to approve 802.11n Press Release

Stuart,

Congratulations on your progress. Still, I need to vote Disapprove.

This press release is, in my view, weak in its most important function:
explaining exactly what it is that happened.

It says two things:

(a) "The IEEE has approved a joint proposal"
This is incorrect. The IEEE didn't approve anything.

(b) The task group "voted unanimously to confirm the joint proposal."
Confirm it as what?

I would change my vote to Approve if the following changes were made:

(a) "The IEEE has approved a joint proposal" => "The task group responsible
for developing the IEEE 802.11n project has voted to accept, as a baseline,
a joint proposal"

(b)  "voted unanimously to confirm the joint proposal" =>  "voted
unanimously to confirm the joint proposal as a baseline"

If I am wrong about the wording "baseline", I'm happy to accept different
language, as long as it is reflective of what actually happened.

Roger

At 02:22 PM -0800 06/01/30, Stuart J. Kerry wrote:
>Dear EC Members,
>
>This is a email ballot to make a determination on the motion regarding
>the approval of the 802.11n Press Release as approved unanimously by
>the 802.11 WG recently in Waikoloa regarding the attached Document file
>presented herein.
>
>Motion: "To approve the 802.11n Press Release attached, with the intent
>to submit to the IEEE (via Karen McCabe) for distribution to the press,
>subject to editorial revision."
>
>Moved: Stuart J. Kerry
>Second: Bob O'Hara
>
>The ballot opens 12:00 midnight ET Monday January 30th, 2006 and closes
>Thursday February 9th, 2006 at 11:59 pm ET.
>
>SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: This Press Release revision was edited before
>presentation to you by Karen McCabe and my 802.11 WG Publicity Chair,
>Nanci Vogtli (please include both on any concerns or comments you send
>via email, thank you).
>
>The full details of the press text is detailed below for your convenience.
>
>Regards,
>
>Stuart J. Kerry
>Chair, IEEE 802.11 WLANs WG
>

>+++++++++
>DRAFT:   1/23/06
>

>Contact:	Stuart J. Kerry, Chair, IEEE 802.11 Working Group
>		+1 408 474 7356, stuart@ok-brit.com
>				or
>		Bruce Kraemer, Chair, IEEE 802.11n Task Group
>		+1 321 327 6704, bkraemer@conexant.com
>				or
>				Karen McCabe, IEEE Senior Marketing Manager
>		+1 732 562 3824, k.mccabe@ieee.org
>

>IEEE TASK GROUP ADVANCES STANDARDS PROCESS FOR HIGHER-SPEED 802.11
>WIRELESS LOCAL AREA NETWORKS
>
>PISCATAWAY, N.J., __ January 2006 - The IEEE has approved a joint
>proposal to amend the IEEE 802.11T wireless local area network (WLAN)
>standard by adding specifications for new technologies that will raise
>WLAN connection speeds to as much as 600 Mbps (megabits per second).
>	The task group working on this amendment, IEEE 802.11nT, "Wireless
LAN