From: Carl R. Stevenson [mailto:wk3c@wk3c.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:06 PM
To: Pat Thaler; 'Tony Jeffree'; STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Rome decison

Pat,

I understand premium rates for "leftover rooms," in a nearly sold out
property ... that's supply and demand, but the reverse should be true ...
they'd be virtually empty without us, so we should get a firesale volume
discount, not get hosed because we want to do them the favor of filling
their place up, buying a lot of F&B, renting meeting space, etc.

I'd be inclined to renegotiate, telling them that based on their publicly
available current rates (and competitive offers) they are really screwing us
and we won't take it.  Tell them that the (inconvenient?) location of their
property doesn't command premium rates, etc. Let them think that we're ready
to drop them like a hot rock and see if they become more reasonable.

Do we know if there is any serious, credible "competition" for the week we
want?  One has to wonder what they would do if we told them "Not a cent more
than $200/night and a 10% discount on previously quoted F&B and meeting
space charges, or forget the whole deal."  Would they walk away from filling
their hotel, the F&B (including the social) and the rental of the meeting
space?  Bird in the hand ...

Carl