Re: [802SEC] OM 3.1.1 LMSC Function, item(e) comment action item

Dear Geoff,

I agree with the intent for the EC to have more technical oversight over
the WG's drafts. I also applaud you as the sincere crusader, in terms of
doing what's best for our body.

At the same time, I feel when a motion is called for a vote, to do
justice in terms of a technical review of hundreds of pages of a WG
draft standard without adequate planning, time and in some cases
technical background, it will be difficult. So the rule change as
proposed does not really accomplish the intent you are after.

Maybe one approach might be to allow all EC members to submit comments
in the Sponsor Ballot with some special designation. As this could be
treated as mandatory co-ordination, the comments could be dealt with by
the WGs with more seriousness.

The sad situation we are in, is not something we can fix, just by
changing this rule. Because, I see documents that have barely 75%
approval passing the EC whereas, documents even with 90+% approval not
necessarily making it. So with this rule change, I'm highly skeptical
that we will accomplish much. But we might surely create more hurdles
for the development process, we never intended to create, especially
when we walk down the path of interpreting this change.

thanks & best regards,
jose