Re: [802SEC] Coexistence and wired devices

  Hello,

On 10/30/14 5:43 AM, "Stephens, Adrian P" <Adrian.P.Stephens@INTEL.COM> wrote:

Hello Glen,

I’m not sure I’m redefining coexistence.   Just pointing out that

it is not merely an issue for wireless devices.

  Fully agree.

The definition of the term  by 802.19 (don’t know if this is still active) is:

Coexistence:  The ability of one system to perform a task in a given shared environment where other systems have an ability to perform their tasks and may or may not be using the same set of rules.

There’s no mention of radio,  only a “shared environment”.   I’d claim that a limited

resource that is competed for comprises a shared environment and is therefore within

the purview of this definition.

  The 802c approach to this "shared environment" is to claim 75% of it and then
tell everyone else that they have to "coexist" with that claim. This turns the concept
of co-existence upside down.

  802c is stating that there exists, or will exist, conflict on the shared environment
represented by the local address space and that address assignment protocols
must be used to enable administrator control over that space to avoid address
conflict. Which is not a point that is really under debate. But 802c isn't proposing
to define a nice generic 802-level address assignment protocol that various 802.*
WGs could provide their own unique interface to. It is just grabbing 75% of the local
address space that would will only make the problem it claims exists that much
worse on the rest of the 25%! "We got ours, you suckers are on your own".

  802c is not a good project and should not be approved.

  regards,

  Dan.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS