Re: [802SEC] Objectives for remote meeting participation

Hello Pat,

Just to make it clear what we are talking about,  there are logically three types of meeting:

1.       Purely face-to-face

2.       Purely electronic

3.       A mixture of the above

Assuming we are talking only about 3…

Some of the possible advantages of remote participation are:

·         Allow participation for those for whom travel is not possible (e.g. visa problems,  health issues,  family needs,  lack of funds)

·         Allow participation on specific topics for those who wouldn’t attend a whole session (e.g. subject matter expects who are not normally involved)

·         Encourage participation from those who are initially unsure as to whether they want to participate

Some of the possible disadvantages of remote participation are:

·         Logistical difficulties of equal access to debate (e.g., difficult to hear people in the room, more difficult to form a queue)

·         Increased time overhead (e.g. bridge setup issues,  increased dependency on often-fragile infrastructure, interruption from joining and leaving announcements “who joined the bridge?”)

·         Logistical difficulties of finding good meeting times for remote participants

·         Lack of transparency as to who is attending a meeting

·         Reduction of control of things like audio recording

·         Logistical difficulty of recording votes (if allowed) and checking voting status

·         Procedural questions related to paying meeting fee and allowing to vote

I believe the requirements should be stated so as to maximise the advantages and minimize the disadvantages.

The questions to be resolved, in my mind, are:

1.       Does the participant pay a meeting fee,  and can they vote?

2.       Is this a member’s right? – i.e. can a member demand remote access,  or is it in the gift of the chair?

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +1 (971) 330 6025 (mobile)