[802SEC] IEEE 802.3 Multi-Gig Automotive Ethernet PHY Study Group

Dear Colleagues,

As Pat noted in her email of 3rd January 2017 <http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg20800.html> there have been some changes to subclause 5.2 'Project authorization' of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual in respect to the duration and extension of Study Groups. It now states 'No formal activity shall take place after six months from the day of the first meeting of the Working Group or PAR Study Group without formal submittal of a PAR to the IEEE-SA Standards Board and assignment of a project number, unless a single extension of six months for that activity is provided by the Sponsor (see 5.1.2).'.

The IEEE 802.3 Multi-Gig Automotive Ethernet PHY Study Group has developed the draft IEEE 802.3ch Standard for Ethernet Amendment: Physical Layer Specifications and Management Parameters for greater than 1 Gb/s Automotive Ethernet PAR and supporting draft CSD which I submitted to the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive committee on 27th January 2017 <http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg20858.html>. The draft PAR and CSD are pending IEEE 802.3 Working Group approval at the March 2017 plenary prior to seeking approval of the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive committee.

The IEEE 802.3 Multi-Gig Automotive Ethernet PHY Study Group first met on Wednesday 11th January 2017. It will therefore not exceed the '... six months from the day of the first meeting ... unless a single extension of six months for that activity is provided by the Sponsor ...' limit set by subclause 5.2 'Project authorization' of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual until June 2017.

There is however still the provision in subclause 5.4 'Standards study groups' of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) Policies and Procedures that 'A Study Group shall report its recommendations, shall have a limited lifetime, and is chartered plenary session-to-plenary session.'.

Based on the above I will seek approval to re-charter the IEEE 802.3 Multi-Gig Automotive Ethernet PHY Study Group at the closing EC meeting next week to meet the requirements of subclause 5.4 of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) Policies and Procedures. This is to allow the Study Group to meet at the IEEE 802.3 May interim meeting series if there are any issue with the approval of the IEEE P802.3ch PAR.

Only if, in what I hope is the unlikely event, the Study Group has to meet in May, and at that time determines it will need to continue meeting, will I seek approval to extend the Study Group to meet the requirements of subclause 5.2 of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual. I would seek such approval using a EC email ballot.

Please let me know if anybody has any concern with what I propose above.

Thanks and best regards,
  David