[802SEC] status on the FCC 6GHz NPRM

Hello 802 Executive Committee Members,

Here is a brief update on the FCC 6 GHz NPRM.  At the FCC Open Meeting this week, the FCC did approve the NPRM and the final version did come out.  You can find it on the .18 Mentor:

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.18/dcn/18/18-18-0133-01-0000-nprm-6ghz-et-18-295.docx

(note: the r01, has some highlights of what was updated from the draft NPRM that came out in early October, due to many ex partes before the sunshine period.)

This is the NPRM I spoke to at the July Plenary, and the one where we need to find a single voice / response from all of IEEE 802 as a whole.

In July I had shared a list of possible options and other reference material and asking how to get to a single voice for IEEE 802 as a whole.  Recently it was suggested to focus on the option of one response to the NPRM that includes all IEEE 802 positions, responses, etc. knowing there will be some opposite positions.

Time frame speculation now is mid-January for comments back to the FCC.  With that would like to focus on a specific path to a response.

The focus in the .18 weekly teleconference (emails sent earlier) will of course be on this, along with specific email threads to specific points as needed.

In Bangkok I was able to get a larger room for our Thursday AM1/AM2 session.  We have started to discuss about some ad hocks there, though most have very full schedules already. Maybe we can work out some off-line / smaller group specific topic work; we are working that out.

As would be expected, that will be much discussion over the next couple of months, just wanted to pass along the latest.

Enjoy your days,
Jay Holcomb (Itron)
Chair 802.18