From: "George Zimmerman" <george@cmephyconsulting.com>
To: "Paul Nikolich" <paul.nikolich@att.net>; "STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG" <STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org>
Sent: 5/5/2020 8:14:03 PM
Subject: RE: [802SEC] IEEE Virtual Events Team -- can we leverage them?

Paul – There are a lot of ‘virtual events’ that are focused on presentations and information transfer, without action.  Ours are more ‘virtual committee work’, and therefore tend to involve more interaction, questions, debate and consensus building.    The slide deck appears to be oriented towards the information-transfer model.  If they don’t bring it up, you might discuss the different meeting types with the group.  It is a lot easier to participate in a webinar, where Q&A are more orchestrated, than in debate, where it is essential to build mutual understanding and find common ground.  Have they touched on that?  (we spend a lot of time discussing mechanics of voting, etc., but with large groups, I find it very difficult to mirror the effect of a long line in the queue and the ability to look around the room and see if the bulk of the group is actually interested, building consensus requires something more than just the presentations and mechanics…

-george