CME Consulting, Inc.
george@cmephyconsulting.com
310-920-3860

On Aug 3, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Benjamin A. Rolfe <ben@blindcreek.com> wrote:

George,

You seem to have missed my point.  We have editors. In 15 more who use Word than Famemaker typically.  We would like to get them all to use Framemaker.  A common excuse reason given is the cost of a license. Most everyone has MS Office anyway.  Few have Framemaker. I'm not sure if I buy that cost is the main reason, but if we have some licensed available we remove that
excuse reason.

FWIW

On 8/3/2020 11:07 AM, George Zimmerman wrote:

It seems Ben, that the first suggestion is the status quo.  Right now, we seem to have editors for our projects.  It is reasonable to expect our volunteers to provide tools for the jobs they sign up for.  Everyone wants to pay less or someone else to pay for it – yet we provide the tools we need, whether it is from the affiliation or from the affiliation. We buy our MATLAB, word, email, etc.  Frame is just a specific tool.  I personally bought a frame license, and am now looking at buying an upgrade.

From: Benjamin A. Rolfe <ben@blindcreek.com>
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2020 10:08 AM
To: George Zimmerman <george@cmephyconsulting.com>; STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Framemaker licenses

George, all

The reality in my experience in 802.15 and 802.19 is that if we followed your first suggestion - limited the editor pool to editors that had a licensed on their own, we would not have editors for many projects.   I am not sure if the cost or learning curve is the reason some editors only have Word.  If we remove the cost excuse, we'll find out which it is ;-).  Thus I continue to endorse the experiment of providing licenses.

Another advantage of providing licenses is that 802 can "sync" versions with staff editors, which would help with the version compatibility issues.

Regards

-Ben