Re: [802SEC] Mixed Mode 802 Session Best Practices

Glenn – I agree and was about to write the same – the participant needs to have a device capable of running a webconferencing application and sufficient network bandwidth.

I would change “mobile phone” to “voice-only device”, or maybe more generally, a connection to the conference which lacks the ability to enter the chat – as this is the important feature.  On occasion I have run into implementations which have most of the web conference capability, but lack chat or ‘hands up’ capability.

-george

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG> On Behalf Of Glenn Parsons
Sent: Friday, July 9, 2021 9:56 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Mixed Mode 802 Session Best Practices

Paul,

I think the participant requirement for a laptop is overstated.  The participant simply needs a device that can run the conferencing app (Webex, Zoom, etc) and sufficient network bandwidth.  The device can be a laptop, desktop, tablet, smartphone, etc.

The limitation of joining by “mobile phone” should be changed to just “phone”  or dial-in by phone as that is the intent.

On the video, I would contend that the meetings cannot be equitable in mixed mode until all participants can see each other.  Facial and body expressions are a means of communication that is often taken for granted when we are in-person.  While I understand that bandwidth is a factor, I don’t think that is a reason to prohibit it.  Instead I think it should be an option for the speaker to have video enabled on their device.

On screen sharing, I agree that this is required.  However, having done this pre-COVID in a large room with a small screen, I would note that this will cause delay when the presenter changes.  The presenter has to both project and share the correct screen to the conferencing app.

Cheers,

Glenn.