Re: [802SEC] F2F meeting safety

So are we suggesting that someone would have to a) show proof of vaccination or b) show proof that they were previously infected?  Of course if this were a false positive then that person did not have COVID.

Not trying to be argumentative as much as show what a slippery slope this can lead to.

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org> On Behalf Of Harkins, Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 7:43 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] F2F meeting safety

  Howdy Andrew,

  I went to Blackhat USA 2021 in Las Vegas back in the beginning of August. This was also a hybrid event with live sessions and some zoom-style sessions. Las Vegas had just re-introduced their mask mandate for indoors. Defcon was running at the same time and for some reason to get into Defcon you needed to prove vaccination and I have a philosophical aversion to those sorts of mandates so I didn't go to Defcon.

  Some of the live sessions at Blackhat were reasonably crowded but I was fine with that since I am fully vaccinated and my risk of dying by COVID now approximates my risk of death by lightning which is not something I have ever worried about in my life. Mostly people were masked but not everyone followed the mask mandate 100%, myself included. None of my fellow Blackhatters seemed to mind, though, and no one was visually distressed to see my mouth and nose and I didn't feel like I was getting the stink eye from anyone. There was a Wednesday evening session in the Business hall at Blackhat in which food and drinks were supplied and lots of people walked around without masks eating and drinking and socializing. Again, there was no panic or obviously discomforted individuals. Many people remained masked though.

  So I think we might need to consider recommending that people who become distressed at seeing others faces take advantage of the virtual portion of a hybrid meeting and let others who are evaluating personal risk differently (again, I'm more at risk of choking to death on food or dying of sunstroke than I am from covid) to enjoy a _face_ to _face_ meeting.

  Dan.

P.S. scientific studies have shown that natural immunity from previous infection is better than that afforded by a vaccination on a person who was never infected. I think our policies should be well-grounded in science and not in fear. A "no exemptions for previous infection" rule is not grounded in science.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius