Re: [802SEC] Updates to proposed WG P&P

Thank you Jodi!  As an SA member its hard to see how this works, but the manual is clear. This is the process I recall from 2019. Do you know what the fee is? (private email is OK).  I understand from the text it is certainly more than adding an SA membership to an IEEE membership, but I’m wondering if it is more than the sum of both memberships.

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org> On Behalf Of Jodi Haasz
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 11:02 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Updates to proposed WG P&P

Hi Geoff,

Please see sublcause 6.5 of the myProject User Guide.

Best regards,

Jodi

Jodi Haasz

Senior Manager,

Operational Program Management

Office: +1 732-562-6367

Mobile: +1 732-439-9144 | standards.ieee.org

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:54 PM Geoff Thompson <thompson@ieee.org> wrote:

Folks-

I am not at all surprised that the IEEE (spider) web site doesn't make it easy and perhaps not even possible to join a balloting group by paying a fee.  The IEEE has a long history of non-intuitive and non-obvious user interfaces which seem to be accompanied by inadequate release testing.

I consider the current route into joining a balloting group to be obscure enough that I would be inclined to give up if I weren't relying on the fact that I made it through the maze before (there was quite a bit of CHATting between colleagues at the time) and I remembered a key hint or two that was not obvious.

I would suggest that an EC member who is involved in governance ask two things of an appropriate person from staff.

    1.  Is the non-member balloting fee still an option?

    2.  Please demonstrate precisely the web path (through to completion) by which one joins a balloting group on a non-member basis.

When we (the EC at the 1st EC retreat) conclusively proved to Susan Tatiner that one could not actually purchase a copy of 802.16 it did a world of good.  As I recall, she did not believe us until we fronted 802 funds (via our credit card) to go all the way through the actual proof.

BTW, the Institute dropped many of the entrance requirements years ago.  It may well be that any individual can join these days.

Geoff