Re: [802SEC] Your Input needed by the IEEE 802 Future meeting ad hoc

I think Geoff makes an excellent point, one which I was discussing with a friend the other day when he was describing business meetings going back and forth between in-person and online.  Familiarity is an enabler for effective on-line meetings.  It builds empathy and understanding, which are vital to the consensus process. (or any agreement process).  With small groups (<10), some personal ‘check-in’ or ‘chit-chat’ time often helps to build familiarity online, but that doesn’t scale well.

For the most part, to the new participant, online meetings are kind of like cold sales calls.  I don’t think I’ve seen an effective model yet for building that familiarity with an extended sequence of online-only meetings.  So either we’d have to invent one (which I think is a bit of social science outside our primary expertise) or we need to weave personal interaction into the future meeting discussion.  For me, I think this means at least a couple face-to-face meetings per year, with participation/membership/voting rights heavily weighted to encourage attendance.

-george

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org> On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 10:17 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Your Input needed by the IEEE 802 Future meeting ad hoc

Colleagues-

The one topic I don't see on the list here that is significantly different between the short term problem and long term meeting remotely is that in addressing the short term problem, we had a situation where we all knew each other.  It is much easier to function in a remote meeting when it is between people who know each other.

When we went remote we had a lot of new folks attending because it was free and didn't require travel or huge blocks of time to do that.  I don't think we got a lot of new contributors or even critics during the process.

If we wish to continue remote or mixed on a long term basis we need to figure out how new blood will be able to worm their way into our process.

Geoff