Re: [802SEC] 802 O&A balloting proposal

Bob-

RE: your comment
I’m thinking about the chat suggestion (Ben?) to simply consider comments.  I have no doubt that 802.1 will fulfill its responsibility to “consider all comments that are received prior to the close of the ballot.” (SASB OM, 5.4.3.3).  So, only voting is an issue.  I doubt 802.1 will simply “blow off” serious comments recognizing the ability of any 802 participant to join the SA ballot group, where the individual would be able to vote and comment on the same issue(s).  An additional encouragement for 802.1 to consider all comments equally independent of vote would be to assure that all 802 participants be made aware of the invitation to participate in the SA ballot (no rules changes or EC motion required to copy the invitation to SA ballot to all WG participants).

I think that point of view depends on the extent to which our work is actually bound by the O&A.  The original version of the O&A was very slow in coming for 2 reasons:
1) Product managers don't pay for knowledgable engineers to come to standards meeting to work on such non-product standards.
2) There actually was not a lot of agreement about (a) many of the details of the architecture and (b) the extent to which the O&A should be binding on the future work and organization of 802.
My hope has always been that the principles of 802 as (in theory) embedded in the O&A would steer the work and not be overridden by the majority of the moment.  It may be that support for that view won't carry the day and/or it will be judged that it is simply too late for such purity.

In any case, if we get into any real areas of dissension it would be a bad idea to have two "classes" of voters. I would like to head that off so we have an even playing field.

Best regards,
Geoff