Re: [802SEC] Agenda request for 2022 November 802 Rules Committee: Removal of student registration restriction

Geoff – you’ve confused me.  I’m not sure which text of restrictions is appropriately aligned to the original intent (the text as is, without the change proposed by dorothy, or the additional change I proposed…)

The reason I am confused is you say that the ability to participate remotely broadens the educational opportunity, and that it is a bad idea to have them use up their chit “if the show is coming to town” – which seems to be in favor of Dorothy’s change.  This doesn’t address the concern I raised which is for the employed individual, also enrolled as a student, to use the proposed change to regularly attend 802 meetings for their employer; however, you do make it clear that you don’t see this as the intent.

-george

From: thompson@ieee.org <thompson@ieee.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2022 11:29 AM
To: George Zimmerman <george@cmephyconsulting.com>
Cc: stds-802-sec@listserv.ieee.org; Geoff Thompson <thompson@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Agenda request for 2022 November 802 Rules Committee: Removal of student registration restriction

George-

The student policy was developed when we only had face-to-face meetings and, in general only came through a city <once/4yrs. It was designed to introduce the concept of standards work as part of the student's education. It was not designed to facilitate student participation in standards development (e.g. UNH-IOL).

I believe the original intent was a good idea.

I believe the text of the restrictions is appropriately aligned to original intent.

I also believe that the ability to participate remotely broadens the opportunity for students to educate themselves about standards but it is a bad idea for a student to use up his/her chit if the show is coming to town any time during their student days.

On that basis, I would be opposed to the proposed change.

Geoff Thompson