RE: [PP-DIALOG] Application of per se rule to ex ante joint conduct

I guess I am a little confused by the exchange of e-mails in this
string.  I am wondering if there is any degree of consensus around the
notion that there is a difference between:

(a) the disclosure of possible licensing terms (I say "possible" because
it is likely that not all licensees will end up with the exact same
license), and

(b) the discussion or negotiation of such terms as a group under the
auspices of a standards body or as part of a standards-setting activity.

In other words, is there any consensus that the PatComm should continue
to debate the former, but that IEEE should expressly prohibit the
latter?

My reading of the Hydrolevel case is that ASME was held liable because
it permitted arguably anti-competitive conduct under its roof and under
its "apparent authority".  Doesn't it seem that, based on the Hydrolevel
and Golden Bridges decisions, IEEE as a standards-setting organization
would better protect itself and its members from possible antitrust
claims by prohibiting group discussions or negotiations of commercial
licensing terms under its auspices than by facilitating such activity?

Whatever IEEE determines are the appropriate parameters, I think that
they should be spelled out very clearly so that everyone understands
exactly what activity is permitted under IEEE's rules and what is not.
I suspect that we can all agree that any ambiguity in this regard would
be problematic.