Re: SONET/Ethernet clock tolerance

I agree with Ishida-san.

I think we need to understand that there are two separate issues here.

(1)  clock tolerance/accuracy specifications (i.e. +/-100ppm, +/-4.6 ppm, etc)
(2)  jitter budget specifications (jitter generation, transfer and tolerance)

The first one determines the lock range of any oscillators and phase look loops in the network. In SONET the worst case clock accuracy/tolerance is specified as +/- 20ppm and therefore every oscillator and clock recovery circuit in a SONET network should be able to lock on and hold to a +/- 20ppm signal.

The second one, as Ishida-san points out is, effectively determines the maximum number of  through-timed regenerators that can be traversed on an end-end SONET link to maintain a specified link bit error rate.

These two specifications (i.e. clock tolerance/accuracy and jitter) are completely intendant. However from my experience in dealing with POS (packet over SONET) there is a tendency among some people to assume that they are related, in that a more accurate clock (say 4.6ppm rather than 20ppm) necessarily has better jitter performance. This is not the case. In fact SONET has a single set of jitter specifications (generation, transfer and tolerance) that are the same irrespective of whether an interface is clocked from a stratum 1 clock, a stratum 3 clock (4.6ppm) or a 'SONET minimum' clock (20ppm).

As a reference point POS interfaces use a 20ppm clock and are fully compliant with the SONET/SDH jitter specifications in Bellcore GR-253 and ITU G.958.