Re: [RPRWG] Destination Address of RPR control messages

Anoop,

The original reason for differentiating them (as I recall
and I could be wrong). Was to provide different addresses
so that the type of control message (broadcast or hop by hop)
could be easily determined in terms of receiption rules.
Checking for all ones or all zeros is very easy and from
a debugging perspective, makes it very easy to identify
packets.

Using a single "reserved" multicast for both hop by hop
and control defeats the purpose of making the reception
rules easy.

Using two has the ugly semantics of a multicast address
used to mark a unicast packet.

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Manager of Engineering,       Cisco Systems