RE: [RPRWG] Destination Address of RPR control messages

Mike,

Comments interleaved.

DVJ

David V. James, PhD
Chief Architect
Network Processing Solutions
Data Communications Division
Cypress Semiconductor, Bldg #3
3901 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95134-1599
Work: +1.408.545.7560
Cell: +1.650.954.6906
Fax:  +1.408.456.1962
Work: djz@xxxxxxxxxxx
Base: dvj@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe this is the right approach, since its being
done as a defacto standard on other standards anyway.
Also, there are alot of 802-aware folks on the RAC.

> My second question is do we have to go to the RAC
> anyway to reserve a broadcast address as suggested
> by Anoop? If so, we can kill two birds with one
> stone in terms of a RAC liason.

I'm not aware of the IEEE/RAC assigning broadcast addresses,
but maybe that's because I haven't been 802-centric until
recently.

> Another third choice is
> 1) make control messages with all ones broadcast
> 2) control messages that have the multicast bit set
>    but are not all ones are hop by hop
>    (avoiding the issue of going to the RAC by leaving
>     the exact value unspecified)
> 3) unicast addresses go to the station addressed if
>    the station is on the ring and are killed by source strip
>    or TTL if they are not on the ring
>
> Note: If the no-one feels the need for unicast delivery of
>   control messages 2) could be modified to hop by hop
>   if not all ones.

Seems like the first solution was sufficient and viable,
and the other alternatives are a bit dirty.