Re: [RPRWG] RE: [IPORPR] payload length and padding and stuff

Title:
Anoop/Necdet:
And the same could be true of maximum size as far as RPR MAC is concerned - although maximum size can be negotiated for mixed links using path MTU discovery (rfc1191) protocol at L3. In general, I don't think RPR should preclude use of mixed media, as long as there is an external logic for rate-matching (how? - PHY people can possibly advise on it). RPR MAC wouldn't even know the difference.
=Pankaj

Necdet Uzun wrote:
Anoop,

Another thing to note that RPR over Ethernet does not require padding of
RPR frames as we do not have the same 64 byte minimum packet size
requirement as Ethernet.

Thanks.

Necdet

Anoop Ghanwani wrote:

Frank,

We shouldn't be trying to mix different PHYs,
e.g. 10GE and OC-192, since they are in fact running
at different data rates, and having PHYs with different
data rates on the same ring is not allowed by the
current version of the draft.  I think the draft
is silent on this specific issue, though.

I'm cc.-ing the 802.17 list since this is an interesting
issue that has come up there as well.  Maybe someone
else might be able to shed some light on this
(PHY people??).

-Anoop