From: owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Devendra
Tripathi
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 10:26 AM
To: Anoop Ghanwani; 'Frank Kastenholz'; iporpr@xxxxxxxx;
stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] RE: [IPORPR] payload length and padding and stuff

Actually, basic data rate may not be an issue here as one can suitable
slowdown the 10G to match OC192 rate (there is protocol defined in 10G for
that). The device which will interface to two different media should take
care of translation of frames to and from the different media. Accordingly a
frame from Sonet (which could be <64 bytes to ~64KB long) may need be
sliced/padded into packets of suitable sizes. If there is stream of small (<
64B) packets, naturally the effective data rate on 10G will go down
significantly and in that case one will have to resort to some sort of flow
control.

However, I agree with Anup that we should keep the standard based on uniform
media. Any mixing of media should be left to bridges.

Regards,
Devendra.

---