[802.3_DIALOG] Link to presentation that PDCC will be looking to approve in the WG close

Colleagues, the PDCC has been working on a contribution to ISO/IEC SC25/WG3. The cliff notes are that SC25 is looking to allow 4P Category cabling to be part of the channel for Single Pair Ethernet but with a reduced current capacity of 0.75A. Clause 104 allows 1.36A and P802.3da has discussed raising to 90W which would push the current to 2.0A. A PSE has no way of knowing the ampacity of the attached cable, effectively limiting all installations to 0.75A. This would cap power delivered to Class 8, which is only 20W at the PD (See Table 104-1).

Please take some time to review the presentation before the WG close tomorrow, found here: https://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/PDCC/public/11801_cable_reuse_071322.pdf

If you review the document and agree, I would be happy to add you as a supporter. Please reply indicating I can add you as a supporter.

I will discuss this in more detail during the PDCC Ad Hoc report tomorrow.

In addition to the contribution, we will ask to approve a delegation from 802.3 to ISO/IECSC25/WG3. The delegation consists of George Zimmerman (as Head of Delegation), Chad Jones, David Law, Geoff Thompson, and Bob Voss. This is nearly the last item on a full agenda, estimated at about 3 hours into the meeting. It might take more than the 10 minutes scheduled; I ask for your tolerance (or sympathy…) as this is a very important issue for powering on Single Pair Ethernet.

Regards,

Chad Jones

Technical Leader, Cisco Systems

Chair, IEEE P802.3da Task Force