From:  Tony Jeffree [SMTP:tony@jeffree.co.uk]
Sent:  Thursday, August 19, 1999 1:01 AM
To:  Rigsbee, Everett O
Cc:  stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject:  RE: Straw Poll for Millenium Medal

I have a suggestion ...
Firstly, a question. How many awards do we have a realistic expectation to get for 802 members (Exec or otherwise)? This seems to be central to finding the right path here.
(1)	If (as I detect from Jim) the realistic expectation is that we get one or at most 2 awards, then the correct thing to do IMHO is NOT to identify any individual names at all, but to nominate 802 as a body (the rules as far as I read them allow individuals *or groups* to be nominated).    After all, 802 as a body has quite a story to tell, and has a very large number of people that have made significant contributions to the creation of the LAN industry over a 19 year period. I somehow think that such a nomination might stand a very good chance of succeeding, and would recognize *all* the contributors in 802 over the years. We should do this *regardless* of how many awards we think are achievable.
(2)	If we think that the realistic expectation is that we get a larger number of awards, but still a fairly small number - half a dozen, say, then we should put forward additional nominations for the working groups of 802 that we think are worthy of special mention, in addition to the overall 802 nomination.  Again, there are particular WGs here that have quite a story to tell, and picking out one or two individuals from each of them might be hard.
(3)	If we think that we might get a significant number of awards (10+ say), then in addition to (1) and (2), we should consider nominating a suitable number of individuals whose contribution has been exceptional.  And I agree entirely with Buzz's expressed views on this - if that list ends up only containing past or present Exec members, then it is entirely the WRONG answer; not because those individuals are not deserving (quite the opposite, for the reasons Pat expressed), but because they are not the *only* ones that are deserving, by a very long way.  Similarly, if that list did not cover the spread of significant activities in 802, then it would be the wrong answer. Apart from the one exception of Jim, the current list of nominees seems only to recognize the contribution of 802.3 to the LAN industry.  We all know .3 is terribly important - but there are one or two other areas - MAC Bridging, to name just one that I have a small interest in - that have been central to the s!
!
!
uccess of the industry; others, such as wireless, show promise in terms of its future success beyond 2000.  If we reach this point in the process, we must show some balance in the nominations.
So the first and most important question that we need to answer is: How many nominations are we likely to get? The total number is 3000 ... how are they going to be carved up?  Jim, can you give us some help here?  Perhaps you can make soundings in appropriate places.
Regards,
Tony