From:  Jim Carlo [SMTP:jcarlo@ti.com]
Sent:  Monday, August 23, 1999 2:00 PM
To:  IEEE802
Subject:  Millenium Medals
I'd like to thank everyone for their comments on the Millenium Medals from the IEEE.  Sometimes, one gets in a briar patch, and it takes some sorting out to get the branches untangled (as we say in Texas).  I have spoken or had private email exchanges with many of you, and would like to propose the following:
1)	If anyone wants to send me a filled out nomination form, has the nominees prior approval, then I will submit that form to the IEEE-SA awards committee and our sponsor (the IEEE Computer Society) for consideration.  I am not going to make any comments on behalf of IEEE 802 regarding the appropriateness of an award.  Alternatively, anyone could directly submit a nomination form to Dennis Bodson (who is head of the IEEE-SA Award Committee) or Lowell Johnson (who is head of the CS Award Committee).  Self nomination forms are OK.  I need nomination forms by Thursday, 26August.
2)	I happen to be on both the IEEE-SA and the IEEE Computer Society award committees.  Because of this, and the fact that I have not actually written a standard or other organization feat, I am removing myself from an award consideration.  This will allow me to lobby for as many 802ers as I can to receive an award without prejudice.  As chair, I believe it is inappropriate for me to do otherwise (I'll get my rewards or whatever later).
3)	Some facts on the award:
	A)	3000 total awards will be distributed.
	B)	According to Dennis Bodson, only individuals can be honored, not a committee like IEEE 802. I will keep lobbying for an IEEE 802 award, as I agree that this would be most appropriate.
	C)	Only six awards are available for the IEEE-SA, which includes some other strong standards areas over the past decades.
4)	Next March 2000 is the 20th year anniversary of IEEE 802 as well as the first meeting of the millenium. I believe it is appropriate that we come up with awards on behalf of IEEE 802.  I'd like suggestions on how to do this.
Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com <mailto:jcarlo@ti.com> ) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee