From: pcroll@csc.com [mailto:pcroll@csc.com]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 4:17 PM
To: j.issak@computer.org; j.carlo@computer.org; l.johnson@computer.org;
zimmermanpm@navair.navy.mil; schoenin@doim6.monmouth.army.mil
Subject: Participation at the DoD Annual Software Technology Conference

Dear Colleagues -

The annual Software Technology Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah is the
DoD's
premier conference for software engineering. Every year, it attracts almost
4000
participants from the defense community. The STC 2000 conference will be
held 30
April through 4 May 2000.

This year, SESC has decided to organize its sponsored track with a bit
broader
scope than in previous years. Originally, we had intended to deal with
IEEE's
software engineering "best practices" but decided to expand the track to
also
deal with IEEE's "best technologies". Therefore, we desire  participation
from
CS sponsors who deal with software-related technologies. Our preliminary
list
includes the following sponsors:

   - Internet Best Practices
   - 802
   - PASC
   - SISC
   - Distance Learning

I have attached a copy of our draft track proposal, for your information.

(See attached file: IEEE Computer Society STC 2000 Summary.doc)

We are hoping that each of you would commit to provide a representative to
make
a presentation (roughly one-half hour) during this broader-focused IEEE CS
track. We would also like your representatives to spend some time in a
Computer
Society booth describing the work that they are doing. We think that it
would be
a good opportunity for them to promote your standards to the defense
community
and to seek wider participation.

We need your responses quickly.  Our track line-up is due to the conference
organizers by COB Friday, October 8.

Thanks,

paul

Paul R. Croll
Chair, IEEE Software Engineering Standards Committee

Computer Sciences Corporation
5166 Potomac Drive
King George, VA 22485-5824

voice:    +1 540.663.9251 ext. 224