Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

RE: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO IT NOW !!!)

I agree with Roger: option 1 or 2 depending on 802.3's decision.

Vic Hayes
Lucent Technologies Nederland B.V.
Zadelstede 1-10
3431 JZ  Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Phone: +31 30 609 7528 (Time Zone UTC +2 in summer time)
FAX: +31 30 609 7556

> ----------
> From: 	Roger B. Marks[]
> Sent: 	29 November 2000 16:51 PM
> To:
> Cc: 	802 @F2F Dawn S; 802 @F2F Darcel Moro; Caroline R. Armstrong;
> Kesling, Dawson W
> Subject: 	Re: URGENT -  We Need an Instantaneous Response.  (That
> means DO IT NOW !!!)
> Buzz,
> Option #2 is fine with me.
> However, I don't feel comfortable choosing between Option #2 and 
> Option #1. If 802.3 wants to come to Orlando too, I am happy to 
> share. If they prefer Sacramento, that's fine too. I wouldn't want to 
> see Option #2 win your poll if 802.3 supports Option #1, or vice 
> versa.
> Roger
> At 6:37 AM -0800 00/11/29, Rigsbee, Everett O wrote:
> >Dear SEC:   OK here's the pitch for the May Interim.  Please response
> ASAP !!!
> >
> >After some rather intensive searching of the Orlando area for a 
> >suitable venue (and checking other Eastern locations as well) we've 
> >finally come up with something that looks workable, but we need to 
> >make an immediate decision as to how we want to go. 
> >
> >We have found 2nd option availability at the Hyatt Orlando in 
> >Kissimmee, FL (a resort property  ~1.5 miles from Walt Disney 
> >World).  During our week of May 14-19, 2001, they can offer us up to 
> >625 of their 922 rooms per night and there's a large Radisson right 
> >nearby which could provide any necessary overflow rooms and/or 
> >meeting space.  The Hyatt Orlando has a good selection of meeting 
> >space, all centrally located, and almost all of it is currently 
> >available (only a couple of the smaller rooms are currently booked). 
> >We believe there is enough space to do all the meetings for an 
> >Interim meeting for all of our Working Groups.  The group rate they 
> >are offering is  $119/129 S/D.  Their pricings for Food & Beverage, 
> >Audio Visual, and Miscellaneous services look to be very competitive 
> >for the area.  You can check out all the details of the property at 
> >their website at:
> >
> >
> >OK, so what's this 2nd option business all about ???  This means 
> >there is another group who has asked Hyatt Orlando to hold space for 
> >their function during that same week, but they have not committed to 
> >sign a contract yet.  How it works is as follows:  if we sign a 2nd 
> >option contract for the dates we want, the other group is given 72 
> >hours to either sign their contract or release the space (and we're 
> >in).  The probabilities are good that if we act now we WILL get the 
> >space.  The problem is that we have a nice gentleman from Intel, 
> >(Dawson Kesling) who has offered to host an 802.3 Interim meeting at 
> >the Hyatt Sacramento, who is holding space there and he is being 
> >pressured to sign a contract or risk losing the space.  If he loses 
> >the space and the other group signs the contract at Hyatt Orlando, 
> >then we're back to square zero. 
> >
> >So I see 3 possible options for us to choose from:
> >
> >Option #1:  We say, "Go for it!"  We sign the contract for the full 
> >meeting and we'll know in 72 hours whether we have a site or not. 
> >We tell Dawson, "Thank you very much for your offer and we'll hope 
> >to have you host a meeting in the future."  If we strikeout at Hyatt 
> >Orlando, we go back and look at several other back-up properties to 
> >get the deal we need (we currently have several, but only 1 is in 
> >the Orlando area). 
> >
> >Option #2:  We divide the meeting.  We let 802.3 go ahead and do 
> >their own thing at the Hyatt Sacramento and we do everybody else at 
> >Hyatt Orlando (if we can get in).  We can reduce the room block to 
> >500, we will certainly have plenty of meeting space, and we won't 
> >need to worry about overflow space.  OK so it's not a fully 
> >co-located 802-Hosted Interim meeting, but we said this was an 
> >experiment to see how it works.  It probably best to start off with 
> >a more manageable-sized group anyway. 
> >
> >Option #3:  We blow-off the 802-Hosted May Interim meeting 
> >completely, every WG does their own thing with their own hosts, and 
> >we think about maybe trying this again sometime in the future. 
> >
> >I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Option #2 for your 
> >consideration, since it seems to get us a trial run and we take on 
> >the least risk, but the choice really belongs to the WG chairs who 
> >have to survive these meetings.  I also think we should weight the 
> >voting on this by the size of the constituency (as recorded at 
> >Tampa) since I'm a believer in 1-man, 1-vote, and we're trying to do 
> >what's right for the greatest number of people here (note: this 
> >implies the vote for an SEC member with no WG would count 1). 
> >
> >Whatever you decide (i.e. Option #1, 2, or 3), you must send me you 
> >response TODAY because we risk losing all if we don't decide right 
> >away.  In the unlikely event of a tie vote, I flip a coin to see who 
> >wins.  Please decide now !!!  Later will be TOO LATE and you'll wind 
> >up with Option #3 by default.  You may call or send email to Dawn or 
> >myself if you have any burning questions but please don't bother 
> >with suggesting other Options which we have overlooked/forgotten. 
> >What you see is what you get.  Tempus Fugit !!!
> >
> >We await your response.   :-)  
> >
> >Thanx,  Buzz
> >Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> >Boeing SSG
> >PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> >Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> >ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> >email:
> >Thanx,  Buzz
> >Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> >Boeing SSG
> >PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> >Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> >ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> >email: