Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

Re: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO IT NOW !!!)

I go with option 2 but Howard's proposal has merit as well.  The wireless 
groups were planning to do Orlando anyway. Let's figure this out 
quickly.  we should grab the Hyatt in any event.  we just need to figure 
out who signs the contract and what room block we sign up for.

At 12:17 PM 11/29/00 -0800, Howard Frazier wrote:

>I suggest option 2, but divided along the lines of "wireless" in Orlando,
>and "802 Classic" in Sac'to, assuming that Intel would be willing to host
>dot3, dot17, and dot1.
>"Rigsbee, Everett O" wrote:
> >
> > Dear SEC:   OK here's the pitch for the May Interim.  Please response 
> ASAP !!!
> >
> > After some rather intensive searching of the Orlando area for a 
> suitable venue (and checking other Eastern locations as well) we've 
> finally come up with something that looks workable, but we need to make 
> an immediate decision as to how we want to go.
> >
> > We have found 2nd option availability at the Hyatt Orlando in 
> Kissimmee, FL (a resort property  ~1.5 miles from Walt Disney 
> World).  During our week of May 14-19, 2001, they can offer us up to 625 
> of their 922 rooms per night and there's a large Radisson right nearby 
> which could provide any necessary overflow rooms and/or meeting 
> space.  The Hyatt Orlando has a good selection of meeting space, all 
> centrally located, and almost all of it is currently available (only a 
> couple of the smaller rooms are currently booked).  We believe there is 
> enough space to do all the meetings for an Interim meeting for all of our 
> Working Groups.  The group rate they are offering is  $119/129 
> S/D.  Their pricings for Food & Beverage, Audio Visual, and Miscellaneous 
> services look to be very competitive for the area.  You can check out all 
> the details of the property at their website at:
> >
> >
> > OK, so what's this 2nd option business all about ???  This means there 
> is another group who has asked Hyatt Orlando to hold space for their 
> function during that same week, but they have not committed to sign a 
> contract yet.  How it works is as follows:  if we sign a 2nd option 
> contract for the dates we want, the other group is given 72 hours to 
> either sign their contract or release the space (and we're in).  The 
> probabilities are good that if we act now we WILL get the space.  The 
> problem is that we have a nice gentleman from Intel, (Dawson Kesling) who 
> has offered to host an 802.3 Interim meeting at the Hyatt Sacramento, who 
> is holding space there and he is being pressured to sign a contract or 
> risk losing the space.  If he loses the space and the other group signs 
> the contract at Hyatt Orlando, then we're back to square zero.
> >
> > So I see 3 possible options for us to choose from:
> >
> > Option #1:  We say, "Go for it!"  We sign the contract for the full 
> meeting and we'll know in 72 hours whether we have a site or not.  We 
> tell Dawson, "Thank you very much for your offer and we'll hope to have 
> you host a meeting in the future."  If we strikeout at Hyatt Orlando, we 
> go back and look at several other back-up properties to get the deal we 
> need (we currently have several, but only 1 is in the Orlando area).
> >
> > Option #2:  We divide the meeting.  We let 802.3 go ahead and do their 
> own thing at the Hyatt Sacramento and we do everybody else at Hyatt 
> Orlando (if we can get in).  We can reduce the room block to 500, we will 
> certainly have plenty of meeting space, and we won't need to worry about 
> overflow space.  OK so it's not a fully co-located 802-Hosted Interim 
> meeting, but we said this was an experiment to see how it works.  It 
> probably best to start off with a more manageable-sized group anyway.
> >
> > Option #3:  We blow-off the 802-Hosted May Interim meeting completely, 
> every WG does their own thing with their own hosts, and we think about 
> maybe trying this again sometime in the future.
> >
> > I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Option #2 for your 
> consideration, since it seems to get us a trial run and we take on the 
> least risk, but the choice really belongs to the WG chairs who have to 
> survive these meetings.  I also think we should weight the voting on this 
> by the size of the constituency (as recorded at Tampa) since I'm a 
> believer in 1-man, 1-vote, and we're trying to do what's right for the 
> greatest number of people here (note: this implies the vote for an SEC 
> member with no WG would count 1).
> >
> > Whatever you decide (i.e. Option #1, 2, or 3), you must send me you 
> response TODAY because we risk losing all if we don't decide right 
> away.  In the unlikely event of a tie vote, I flip a coin to see who 
> wins.  Please decide now !!!  Later will be TOO LATE and you'll wind up 
> with Option #3 by default.  You may call or send email to Dawn or myself 
> if you have any burning questions but please don't bother with suggesting 
> other Options which we have overlooked/forgotten.  What you see is what 
> you get.  Tempus Fugit !!!
> >
> > We await your response.   :-)
> >
> > Thanx,  Buzz
> > Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> > Boeing SSG
> > PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> > Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> > ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> > email:
> > Thanx,  Buzz
> > Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> > Boeing SSG
> > PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> > Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> > ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> > email:

Bob Heile
Verizon Technology Organization
Chair IEEE 802.15
40 Sylvan Road, Waltham,  MA  02451
Phone: 781-466-2057
Fax:    781-466-2575
Pager: 800-759-8888  PIN 1109355