Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

RE: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO IT NOW !!!)

Howard,  I'm a bit surprised you wouldn't include 802.1 in "802 Classic."  
I certainly would.  You can't get much more Classic than 802.1.   :-)   
Such an arrangement would be entirely up to the host and the choice of 
the individual WG's.  Other than your suggestion, I've had no indication 
from anyone else that such a plan would be desirable or acceptable.  
If you want to stump for your own plan, go right ahead, but be forewarned ... 
we're not going to do any Florida recounts, No Way !!!    :-)   
Thanx,  Buzz
Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
Seattle, WA  98124-2207
ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> ----------
> From: 	Howard Frazier[]
> Sent: 	Wednesday, November 29, 2000 12:17 PM
> To: 	Rigsbee, Everett O
> Cc: 	802 Exec; 802 @F2F Dawn S; 802 @F2F Darcel Moro; Caroline R. Armstrong; Kesling, Dawson W
> Subject: 	Re: URGENT -  We Need an Instantaneous Response.  (That means DO IT NOW !!!)
> Buzz,
> I suggest option 2, but divided along the lines of "wireless" in Orlando,
> and "802 Classic" in Sac'to, assuming that Intel would be willing to host
> dot3, dot17, and dot1.
> Howard
> "Rigsbee, Everett O" wrote:
> > Dear SEC:   OK here's the pitch for the May Interim.  Please response ASAP !!!
> > After some rather intensive searching of the Orlando area for a suitable venue (and checking other Eastern locations as well) we've finally come up with something that looks workable, but we need to make an immediate decision as to how we want to go.
> > We have found 2nd option availability at the Hyatt Orlando in Kissimmee, FL (a resort property  ~1.5 miles from Walt Disney World).  During our week of May 14-19, 2001, they can offer us up to 625 of their 922 rooms per night and there's a large Radisson right nearby which could provide any necessary overflow rooms and/or meeting space.  The Hyatt Orlando has a good selection of meeting space, all centrally located, and almost all of it is currently available (only a couple of the smaller rooms are currently booked).  We believe there is enough space to do all the meetings for an Interim meeting for all of our Working Groups.  The group rate they are offering is  $119/129 S/D.  Their pricings for Food & Beverage, Audio Visual, and Miscellaneous services look to be very competitive for the area.  You can check out all the details of the property at their website at:
> >
> > OK, so what's this 2nd option business all about ???  This means there is another group who has asked Hyatt Orlando to hold space for their function during that same week, but they have not committed to sign a contract yet.  How it works is as follows:  if we sign a 2nd option contract for the dates we want, the other group is given 72 hours to either sign their contract or release the space (and we're in).  The probabilities are good that if we act now we WILL get the space.  The problem is that we have a nice gentleman from Intel, (Dawson Kesling) who has offered to host an 802.3 Interim meeting at the Hyatt Sacramento, who is holding space there and he is being pressured to sign a contract or risk losing the space.  If he loses the space and the other group signs the contract at Hyatt Orlando, then we're back to square zero.
> > So I see 3 possible options for us to choose from:
> > Option #1:  We say, "Go for it!"  We sign the contract for the full meeting and we'll know in 72 hours whether we have a site or not.  We tell Dawson, "Thank you very much for your offer and we'll hope to have you host a meeting in the future."  If we strikeout at Hyatt Orlando, we go back and look at several other back-up properties to get the deal we need (we currently have several, but only 1 is in the Orlando area).> 
> > Option #2:  We divide the meeting.  We let 802.3 go ahead and do their own thing at the Hyatt Sacramento and we do everybody else at Hyatt Orlando (if we can get in).  We can reduce the room block to 500, we will certainly have plenty of meeting space, and we won't need to worry about overflow space.  OK so it's not a fully co-located 802-Hosted Interim meeting, but we said this was an experiment to see how it works.  It probably best to start off with a more manageable-sized group anyway.> 
> > Option #3:  We blow-off the 802-Hosted May Interim meeting completely, every WG does their own thing with their own hosts, and we think about maybe trying this again sometime in the future.
> > I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Option #2 for your consideration, since it seems to get us a trial run and we take on the least risk, but the choice really belongs to the WG chairs who have to survive these meetings.  I also think we should weight the voting on this by the size of the constituency (as recorded at Tampa) since I'm a believer in 1-man, 1-vote, and we're trying to do what's right for the greatest number of people here (note: this implies the vote for an SEC member with no WG would count 1).
> > Whatever you decide (i.e. Option #1, 2, or 3), you must send me you response TODAY because we risk losing all if we don't decide right away.  In the unlikely event of a tie vote, I flip a coin to see who wins.  Please decide now !!!  Later will be TOO LATE and you'll wind up with Option #3 by default.  You may call or send email to Dawn or myself if you have any burning questions but please don't bother with suggesting other Options which we have overlooked/forgotten.  What you see is what you get.  Tempus Fugit !!!
> > We await your response.   :-)
> > Thanx,  Buzz
> > Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> > Boeing SSG
> > PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> > Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> > ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> > email:
> > Thanx,  Buzz
> > Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> > Boeing SSG
> > PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> > Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> > ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> > email: