[802SEC] PAR for EFM

Dear Members of the IEEE 802 LMSC SEC,

Attached please find the draft PAR and 5 Criteria for a new project
within 802.3, commonly known as "Ethernet in the First Mile".
The 802.3 EFM Study Group and the 802.3 WG authorized the submission
of this PAR for your consideration via the following motions:

The vote in the SG was:

  Submit the draft PAR and 5 Criteria to the 802 SEC for
  consideration at the July meeting.
        M: D. Ruby
        S: J. Egan
  Tech >= 75%   Y: 73   N: 1   A: 1

The solitary no vote was from David Cunningham, who wanted to
split PONs out. This issue was thoroughly discussed in an earlier
motion, which was soundly defeated (32:60:7).

802.3 gave the SG the authorization to submit the PAR via the following
motion from the March, 2001 meeting:

    Authorize the EFM Study Group to presubmit their draft PAR
    and 5 Criteria to the 802 SEC for consideration at the July meeting.
    Renew the charter of the EFM Study Group for another meeting cycle.

    M: Frazier on behalf of the Study Group
    Y: 84, N: 0, A: 4, Passed

At the July meeting, we will be conducting a tutorial on Monday night to
review the project. We will follow the procedure for PARs defined in the
802 operating rules, and we expect to request that you approve this PAR
at the Friday afternoon closing SEC meeting.

Please do not hesitate to forward any questions or concerns about the
project to my attention. The EFM SG will do its best to address any
issues which arise.

Howard Frazier
Chair, IEEE 802.3 EFM Study Group

8023ahCritters.pdf