Re: IEEE International Code Designator and P802.15.3

I'm sorry, I've been watching this discussion passively for a while because
I thought Tony had made it clear that my role in tracking these object IDs
was in the dim past.

I performed a purely secretarial role of looking up all the object IDs which
had been procured for IEEE 802 use, making a list, and writing up
refinements in the procedures according to direction from Don Loughry, then
chairing the 802 Executive Committee. The basis at the time was a plan
approved in an Annex to 802.1F, under which each 802 base standard would
obtain a separate arc from ANSI.

That Annex specified that the Recording Secretary of 802 would be
responsible for maintaining the list, but because of the very infrequent
instances of updates, maintenance procedures were never established or
consistently maintained.  (This is not intended as a criticism of anyone;
the difficulty was that the role of Recording Secretary could change more
frequently than new Object IDs were needed, so experience in dealing with
this would not be passed on.) As a result, I have been called upon to supply
copies of the old list and Don Loughry's procedures over the years, so my
name continues to come up whenever someone tries to reconstruct the
situation.

Tony's suggestion, that the 8802 arc be utilized instead, would take the
whole matter beyond the scope of the original plan to use ANSI assignments
on a basis of one per base standard.

For information, here is my recollection of the sequence of events:
(1) 802.3 began using the 8802 arc because there was no Project 802 system
in place.
(2) 802.1 arranged the plan to use ANSI arcs on a per-standard basis. Tony
Jeffree, as chair of the management task group, was the leader in setting up
the plan and documenting it in 802.1F. Many 802 arcs were obtained then.
(3) Newer 802 Working Groups (802.9, 802.11 and 802.12, I think) reached the
point of needing assignments, and asked 802.1 how to go about it. Tony
wasn't there. I dug out 802.1F and figured out the procedure, and also went
through all the published standards and listed the existing assignments.
(4) The needed arcs were obtained, and Don Loughry used my results and
secretarial help to document the assignments and refined procedures.
(5) I've occasionally supplied copies of that work on request, but because
there has been another long period with no new assignments, not much has
changed.

Respectfully,
Hal Keen